My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://rantsnrascals.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

earthquake rocks toronto: how prepared are we?


Just moments ago I got a press release from Shoelessmommy who sent this to my inbox.  Apparently an earthquake struck Toronto!  The Natural Resource Homepage shows it was a 5.0 and felt by Ottawa as well.


A drugstore after the quake courtesy of Katherine Bruce of Ottawa, ON

U.S. Geological survey shows it was a 5.0M near the Ontario/Quebec border.  I was very shocked seeing things off the shelves.  We never think in Canada it's going to happen when we watch around the globe other countries suffering much larger quakes and try to help them.  What if we need help?  Do you think we'd get it?  How big of a quake could we handle?  

As a mom I feel upset because I never thought to ask the question: Are my kids Earthquake ready?  I don't even know if they talk about it in school.  I will be asking Gamer who is in grade five the question when he gets home from school today.  And there are other questions on my mind.



Do you have an emergency bag stored somewhere?  It should have canned goods, water, rope, emergency radio, things like that.  I know we don't and I will be getting one together next pay day.

Are your children ready if a quake strikes?  Would they know what to do?

STATEMENT
City of Toronto Earthquake
In our initial assessment, there has been no major damage to City infrastructure. Further investigations are taking place to confirm. The Toronto Transit Commission and Transportation Services have reported that there has been no damage to their infrastructure or interruptions to service.
The City's Emergency Operations Centre is up and running in preparation for the G20 so the City is uniquely prepared to respond to the event. We will continue to monitor the situation and will report as necessary.
Residents should follow the instructions of their building management.
The City has received no calls concerning bridge, building or other infrastructure problems.
While not applicable to this event, in future, should there be a major or more serious earthquake:
Residents should stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls. DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops.
If there isn't a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.

If outdoors - stay there. Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires. Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops.
If in a moving vehicle, stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses and utility wires.

Hubby and I were going to watch 2012 tonight but I think I will put it off.  I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy too neurotic and superstitious and really can't handle the emotions that go along with devastations like this, losing my family and my kids.  I just can't think about it.

What do you think about hearing this?
Photobucket
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Top Blogs

My Blogfrog

Sponsors

 

Rants n' Rascals Copyright © 2009 Cosmetic Girl Designed by Ipietoon | In Collaboration with FIFA
Girl Illustration Copyrighted to Dapino Colada
This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates